Wednesday 29 August 2012

Are Facebook a "Threat" or an "Enhance" person Social Link

Assalamualaikum.

As we all know, this era most of the people in this planet know the famous social media that been called "Facebook". Before I go deeper about the topic given to me, I would like to talk briefly about Facebook for those who still doesn't know this booming social media. Facebook was develop by Mark Zuckerberg in February 2004. Initially Facebook are only for  Harvard student but this social networking just keep growing  until it became a big hit in late August 2008. Now days, Facebook has more then 900 active user and still growing. To coop with this large crowd and keep the user entertain, Facebook released a lot of feature and application.

One of recently controversial feature are the Facial Recognition Features  developed by Facebook. I'm was unaware of this new features until one of my lecturer post this article : http://www.forbes.com/sites/chunkamui/2011/08/08/facebooks-privacy-issues-are-even-deeper-than-we-knew/ . 


The Facial Recognition is a system that allowed the user to identified people by simply uploading picture and the Facebook will cross references in their database to find the person in the picture. Therefore all the information about the person in the picture will be revealed to others to view. This system make some people information vulnerable and unprotected by the user of the Facebook.

Most of the vulnerable person mainly woman, teenage girl and little girl due to ease of access information.  This make them a victim to raping and human trafficking. But this features are not completed yet. this is due to some bug in the feature that had need to be fixed before the featured reach it true potential. This what I find on YouTube while trying to understanding what is the facial recognition. http://youtu.be/NexhJG8C250

Would I still stay on the Facebook after knowing this?, well my answer will be YES. This is due to a lot of my friend and my families use Facebook for sharing information and connecting with new one. For me Facebook is one of my way to post my artwork and promote myself as an animator. Therefore for the time being, I will still used Facebook for communicating and sharing information. 

Manuring By: Adli Faisal Bin Ahmad Zamri - 1121116336

No comments:

Post a Comment